Do you wish to start a blog in India? Well, that sounds astonishing!
I was 20 when I started my blogging career (that was just for fun though). It took me around 2 days to learn how to start a blog and understand the basics of blogging platform. Starting a blog is easy, you just need to understand the basics. Once you get expert in it, you will be surely earning millions from it.
When I started my blog, I was pursuing my studies (graduation) and I remember how I used to publish new posts for fun as to call myself as a blogger. After few weeks, when I was just going through my dashboard (affiliate), I was surprised to see some amount (around Rs. 78) credited to my account. Even though its low, that was such a great happiness for me.
As I started believing in online income, I then began going through the tutorials on how to start a blog and make money from it. I’ve personally gone through small & big rocks throughout my blogging career. But believe me, you will learn when you make a mistake!
Kept working harder with new strategies & helpful content for about 4-6 months, and then I began to see my real online revenue which crossed over $2,500.
People either start their blogging career as a passion, make their own brand, to help people solve their problems or to earn make money through it. There are many bloggers who are making millions in a month and you can be one of them too.
As I’ve made a living through blogging, I wish to see other people earn online & stay happy as well. That’s why I’m sharing the step-by-step process to start a blog in India and earn money from it.
Start Your Blogging Career at Just $3.95
Step by Step Guide on How to Start a Blog in India
Before we start discussing about the steps on how to start a blog, let me tell you one thing. Blogging is the most effective and popular way to earn passive income online. But, this is possible only when you can give a few hours of time every day or at-least 3 times a week to your blog.
You need to keep your blog fresh by updating it on regular basis, which can help Google rank your website well on search engine (one of the major ranking factor).
1. Find a Niche You Would Love to Blog About
The very first step is to choose your niche/topic that you are interested in, and would love to talk about.
Now you might be thinking what a niche really is?
A Niche is nothing but a topic or subject that tells what the blog is about. A blog may contain multiple niches, for example: fashion tips, travel tips, cooking tips. But, it’s recommended if a blog is particularly focused on one single topic.
The reason why I suggest you to start with one single topic is, because you can focus & concentrate on that particular topic without being diverted.
However, if you have enough time to manage every single niche or have a team that can look at, then you may start a blog with multiple niches.
You just need to ask yourself a few questions.
- Which topic do you love to talk, write or discuss with people?
- On what topic do people love to listen from you?
- What is the topic that you always keep talking about?
- Do you have enough knowledge about that topic?
- How can you improvise this topic by adding a certain amount of value to it?
- Can you keep updating that blog with trending topics in India?
If you have the answer to all these questions, you’re ready to start a blog in India about that topic!
Do remember that this is the most crucial step of blogging. If you opted a niche that you have I’m afraid you might If you opted the wrong niche and if in case you do any mistake here, you may definitely.
Even I’ve gone through worse experience by opting a wrong niche at first. But then, I understood the whole process and started focusing on one single niche.
Start with Google search & keyword planner.
Google Keyword Planner is a powerful tool that can tell you the complete details about a particular topic, such as finding the long-tail keywords, number of searches per month, keyword PPC competition, etc. You can then choose your long-tail keyword that you’ve good knowledge off and confident with writing an article on it.
Now as everything is clear, I hope you understood how to start a niche blog in India. Let’s move on to the next step.
2. Get a Domain Name for Your Blog
Not sure what a domain name really is? Well, the domain name is the address (URL) that we type in the browse to visit a website. For example, if you type www.rankvidya.com, this website will open in the browser. I hope you got that!
Now you may raise a question like: why should I purchase a domain when I can register it for free on a free blogging platform? Well, that’s extremely important if you want people to know you with your blog name. A custom domain name speaks about your brand and spreads awareness around the world.
For example: If you register your domain name on a free blogging platform like blogspot or wix. Then your domain will appear as:
yourblogname.blogspot.com (or) yourblogname.wix.com
Would you really like to prefer having a domain with the company’s name attached to it? Absolutely no, right? Moreover, if your blog has returning visitors, they would search your blog with yourblogname.com, and they wouldn’t remember that your blog had company’s name attached to it.
So if you’re serious about building your own brand, it’s mandatory to purchase your own domain name.
You really don’t have to worry about the cost! It’s really cheap and anyone can afford it. You can get jaw-dropping discounts on both domain & hosting at Bluehost. Registering on Bluehost is very easy, you just need to follow the below steps.
- You need to click on “Get Started Now” as the first step.
- Next, you will need to select the plan based on your requirements. It’s recommended to select the “choice plus” plan as it contains all the necessary features that include Domain Privacy & CodeGuard. This can protect your personal information from online users. However, If you’re just focusing on learning how to blog, then you may choose the basic or plus plan.
- The next step is to choose your domain name for your blog. Think twice before you choose a name.
As I said, you’ll be building your own brand with a custom domain name. In such case, you need to research, think and decide the domain name that can describe your blog’s content that can be easily remembered and easy to pronounce.
You may even use your own name as your blog’s domain. There are few popular bloggers like Neil Patel who kept his domain name as neilpatel.com. This can be easily remembered, right?
Please remember the below points before you register your own custom domain name at Bluehost.
- The name must be easy to remember and short
- The name must say what the blog is about
- It’s better if the name doesn’t contain the entire keyword
- Do not use more than 1 keyword in the domain name
Still couldn’t decide the domain name yet? No worries! Bluehost lets you choose your free domain name later.
So you may proceed to next step, i.e. creating your account on Bluehost.
3. Choose a Web Hosting Provider For Your Blog
Selecting a reliable web hosting service provider is extremely important for every blogger. I personally recommend Bluehost as they’re world’s most popular web hosts that offers great services at competitive prices.
Do you know why is Bluehost a worthy choice? Because they offer amazing 1-click WordPress install (which is super easy to install), FREE domain, FREE SSL certificate and 24/7 customer support.
What does every blogger/website owner looks into?
- Fast Speed
- Good Security
- Useful Features
- Good Customer Support
Well, Bluehost has all these services and their hosting is used by millions of bloggers around the world. Trust me, choosing a reliable host provider is extremely necessary if you wish to start a blog in India. There are too many hosting companies that promise us to give proper services but they lack speed and customer support (which are indeed the most important).
Bluehost is recommended by a lot of people around the world and has received 4.9/5 ratings by reputed review websites.
Didn't Start Yet? Do it Today!
4. Creating Your Bluehost Account
Once you’ve chosen your domain name, you will be taken to “create your account” page. All you need to do is to fill up your account information. Follow the below steps for a better understanding:
- The first step is to mention your personal details such as name, address, phone number, email ID etc.
- In the second step, you need to select your package. If you signup for more months, you will save more! It costs $5.95 if you go with 12 months. By default, it’s for 36 months which is worth $3.95/month. I would recommend the 36 months package.
- The third step would be choosing the additional useful tools for your blog. This is not necessary as of now. Once your blog is all set & starts earning, you may prefer these tools!
- The last and final step is the payment process! You’ll need to enter your credit card details to complete the payment. Netbanking doesn’t work here. If you don’t have a credit card, you can ask your family members or cousins for the help. You may pay them cash in exchange.
- Once everything is filled-up, just select the terms & conditions check box and click on submit.
- That’s it! You’re all set to start a blog now. You will be receiving an email from Bluehost for the completion of registration. You need to confirm your Email ID.
- You will be then taken to “welcome to bluehost” page where you can set your password for your account.
- After setting up your password, you will see a different page where you can click on “set up your website” icon.
- You can then use your login credentials & get access to your control panel.
5. Choose the Right Blogging Platform
Once you are ready with your new domain & hosting, you will need to choose the right blogging platform to start a blog in India.
I would highly recommend you to go with WordPress, as it’s the most popular and widely used CMS around the world. There are many free blogging platforms such as Blogger, Tumblr, & Wix but I would never recommend these if you are serious about starting a blog in India.
The reason why I never advice my visitors to go for free blogging platform are:
- Your domain name will have the company’s name attached to it – It will be very hard to remember and honestly, you may not get recognized as a brand. For example, yourdomain.blogspot.com is pretty lengthy and users will be unable to remember it.
- You will have no control over the content you write – Yes! You may write & publish the content but the company controls it. They can even delete your blog without any notice.
- You cannot customize your themes or plugins – You may not customize the themes and design of your blog, nor can access any plugins. This is painful, isn’t it?
Why should you choose WordPress?
No matter what kind of blog or website you want to start, I would highly suggest you to go with WordPress. This platform supports all kinds of niches providing great user-friendly & dynamic themes for bloggers, small businesses, e-commerce websites & classifieds websites.
I simply love WordPress because of the beautiful SEO friendly themes that can enhance my website architecture & design. Some of the plugins such as Yoast SEO, fastest cache & smush.it boosts my blog performance & security insanely.
Moreover, adding content, widgets, images & plugins is super easy on WordPress, this will be shown later in this article.
In case you need any kind of technical help with WordPress, you may contact me, and I’ll be there to help you solve your problem ASAP!
6. How to Design Your Blog
WordPress has thousands of professional themes which are absolutely FREE and can be accessed easily. In order to make your blog attractive with decent layout and widgets, you will have to choose a proper theme.
Follow these steps to choose the right theme that can match your blog niche.
- Firstly, you need to login to your WordPress account. You can do it by typing yourblogname.com/wp-admin/ in the browser.
- After logging in, you will see the Dashboard page of your blog.
- Navigator to the left menu & search for the “Appearance” tab.
- Now select “Themes” which is mentioned above the Customize tab in the left sidebar.
- You will now see a page where you will find multiple WordPress themes. Select anyone of them and click on “Activate”. Before activating, you may click on “Live Preview” and see how your blog’s layout looks like once your blog is LIVE.
- If you didn’t like anyone of these themes, then simple click on “Add New” that takes you to a page where you can see featured, popular and latest themes installed on WordPress.
- Once you’ve chosen & installed your theme for your blog, click on “Activate”. That’s it! The designing part of your blog has been done!
After the designing part is done, you can start publishing your blog posts! But wait, there’s one most important step that needs to be followed.
And that is, your permalink structure. Permalinks are nothing but the URL of your individual blog posts. In order to make user friendly & search engine friendly URL’s to your blog posts, you need to select the right URL structure.
Steps to Enable Search Engine Friendly Permalinks:
- Select the “Settings” tab from the left sidebar and click on “Permalinks”.
- You will be taken to the “common settings” with a list of different types of permalinks.
- Select the “Post Name” permalink structure and click on “Save Changes”. As this is the most recommended structure that keeps your URL clean and simple (this can even help your returning visitors to remember the URL).
Warning: Before you wish to change your blog’s permalink structure, backup your website. Any mistake can impact your search engine ranking badly.
7. Creating New Posts on Your Blog
As we have a new domain & hosting, let’s start creating new posts & publish them!
Haven’t got a domain & hosting yet? Click here to get one at cheapest price now!
Wow, you own a blog now! Feels awesome, isn’t it?
Creating new posts & pages is very easy; you just need to understand how it works! If you’ve the basic knowledge of MS WORD, your blogging journey will run smoothly (you’ll need to learn technical stuff though).
The 3 most important things you need to learn are: How to add content (including formatting), images and links.
- Let’s start with adding a new post. In order to do this, you will need to select “Posts” from left sidebar and click on “Add New”.
- You’ll see a text editor page where you can add content, image, links, change the font color and implement formatting tags (do not worry if your text editor design is different than mine, that’s OK).
The first thing you need to do is enter a title for your blog. Do not let the title exceed more than 57 characters. As you’re learning how to start a blog in India, you will need to search for the keywords that popular, in demand and trending in India. It takes few minutes or an hour to research for the best keywords. Once you’ve got an idea on which topic you can create a blog post, insert that keyword in the title box.
For example: “how to make cake at home” is a keyword. You need to insert this keyword in the title box & add the same in the content as well. Make sure the content is at-least 500 words long.
Are you confused where the content needs to be added? Well, that goes right into the big text box that is mentioned below.
Suppose you haven’t finished writing your content and want to stop it middle, you can simply click on “Save Draft” mentioned on the right side of the editor. It will be directly saved in your posts section and you can continue writing it later. You can even preview your content & images before publishing.
Adding Sub-Headings & Formatting to Your Content
Do you remember how you used to separate your paragraphs with sub-headings in your school? We do here the same way! Sub-headings help users to understand what the paragraph is about.
Not just internet users who visit your blog, they’re also helpful in terms of ranking. Attractive sub-headings along with good keyword insertion are one of the best Google’s ranking factors. If you’re targeting the long-tail keywords that are used in sub headings, image alt tags & content, then your chances are high to appear on the first page of Google.
Follow these steps to use the formatting tags.
- Can you see the tab below the “Add Media” button? Well, click on the “Paragraph” drop-down menu and select any heading tags from Heading 2 to Heading 6.
- Please avoid the Heading 1 tag as this is only used for the page title. The H2 and H3 are the mostly used tags in the content.
- If you want to make your font “bold” or dark in color, you must select “B” and “I” for italic/slant text formatting.
- In case you want to align the text or image to left, right or center, you can use the lines icon.
You will understand the rest of the formatting tags when you test them practically. They’re similar to MS WORD and you’re familiar with it, right?
Adding Images to Your Content
Adding images to your content makes an article more attractive, meaningful and easy to understand. A user who lands on your page will never read the entire content (unless he has time to read everything). What the users expect is helpful images and headlines that help them understand thoroughly.
Note: Make sure you compress the image first and then upload it on your blog. Also, make sure you add an Alt tag to your each and every image.
I personally use Tinyjpg, a worthy FREE online tool that compresses the images without losing clarity of the image.
Uploading Image on Your Blog
Adding a image on the blog is very easy. Follow the below steps to know how:
- Click on “Add Media” button
- A pop-up window will appear. Select “Upload Files” tab and click on “Select Files” button.
- Now search for the image that you wish to insert in the article, select it, add the Alt text on the right side and click on “Insert into post”. That’s it!
- Once the image inserts in your post, you can then customize the image size, align it to left or right.
Note: Before adding any image, make sure you put your cursor where the image needs to be inserted in the content.
Adding a Link
You can add a link to either text or Image. Just like image, adding a link to the content in very easy.
Follow these steps to insert a link in your content.
- You see a chain-like icon in the image below? Well, just click on it.
- You will then see a pop-up window that asks you to enter the URL and link text.
- In the URL box, you need to enter the link that you wish to insert in the content text.
Once everything seems right, you can click on “Publish”. That’s it; you’ve published a new blog post!
This looks real simple, right?
8. Monetize Your Blog
Great job! I hope you’ve now covered all the basic steps and learnt how to start a blog in India. Some people start a blog to share their knowledge & passion, where as some people wish to make a living through it. There are tons of bloggers out there who are making millions from it. But this doesn’t mean you will start earning as soon as you start your blog. It takes time, based on your niche, competition and how you would like to target your audience.
Some of the most trustworthy ways to start a blog and make money are:
- Affiliate marketing (best)
- Google AdSense
- AdSense Alternatives (Infolinks, Chitika)
- Sell Digital Products
- Launch E-commerce Store
- Sell Digital Products
- Sell Courses
- Sell Your Own Product
Earnings purely depends on your blog content, number of visitors and source of targeting the visitors. Organic visitors (i.e. from Google & other search engines) are the most targeted once and are sure to generate money.
If your blog generates 30,000 visitors per month, then there are many other sources of income. Remember, you earn more when you generate more number of visitors. In order to learn how to start a blog in India for massive income, you need to follow some good optimization strategies that will help your website rank higher on Google search. This way, you will generate more organic traffic from Google & other search engines.
I hope everything’s clear now. You may contact me anytime if you need any kind of help, I will reply at the soonest!